Skip to main content

The Drive Diaries - Part I

Ever since I learnt how to drive, I have felt how each drive is a microcosm of life itself or at least a slice of it. In this series of short stories, I shall purport to portray the parallels that I perceived.


Shift into first and gently release the clutch

The first part correlates the stop-starts and hiccups in the early part of a relationship to the first time you drive and eventual smooth release of the clutch.

“Damn it, I am already late!” thought Akhil looking at his watch. That wasn’t new. He was habitually, and only occasionally fashionably tardy. He was driving his flat-mate Vikram’s Honda City, navigating it through Bengaluru’s traffic. He had an arrangement where he could borrow it at a reasonable rate of Rs.8 per km. This came in handy for getting groceries, or occasionally to go to the office. However, today it was essential. Akhil was going on his first date in a long while. 

“God, why did I have to wear this dress?” thought Aarti getting into the car. She had gotten stares from all the hangers-on in the gully where her paying guest accommodation was. 

Akhil was stunned as he rounded the corner on Airport Road to get on to the gully. Aarti was standing at the side of the unpaved road in a gorgeous black dress and was all decked up. As she got in blushing profusely, she handed him a packed gift without ceremony. “And I didn’t even get her anything!” Akhil mused. In the disappointment, he had also forgotten to open the door for her.

Nevertheless, he grinned at her and said, “Arre hi to bol de!”. Compared to her, he was dressed like a vagabond. He hadn’t even got her flowers, let alone a gift. Nothing got Akhil going more than when he screwed things up. He felt confident. The worst was over. He had absolutely nothing to lose.

She blushed again and gasped. “Why am I so nervous?” she wondered. I am quite a catch for this guy, and he practically begged me to go out with him. “It is all Shruthi’s fault! She built this date up too much, and now I am worried what he thinks of me.” 

As they crossed Marathahalli, Akhil passed the pre-planned remark on how beautiful she looked. Vikram had advised, “Don’t flood her with compliments. Be genuine and wait till she will hear you clearly.” He was clearly a man of experience - mostly failed ones. So, he knew all the pitfalls of these situations.

“I have to say you look stunning. For one, I can’t take my eyes away from your legs!”

Akhil's attempted compliment couldn’t be more awkward and bordering on creepy. Immediately, she tried to pull down at the edge of her dress. Giving up at any further attempts at conversation, he turned on the music to ease the tension.

They finally reached restaurant near MG Road and Akhil got down from the car and rushed to the passenger side to open the door for her. He took her arm in the crook of his. She smiled warmly at him, and he walked in confidently and asked the maître d' to arrange a table for two.


------------- xxx -------------

Sideswipe, Crash and Burn

The second part is an allegory reflecting on how a car accident has strong correlation with the end of a relationship - anger, blame and the eventual parting of ways.

“Why the fuck am I doing this?” thought Akhil as Aarti got in the car. He put the car in reverse and pulled out of the driveway. His hand was shaking as he shifted to first gear. 

Aarti was getting late for her coaching class near MG road and Akhil agreed to drop her off. She had made poha in the morning, just the way he liked it. There was no time for him to eat though. He was packing his suitcase, and she couldn’t get a cab. So, they had to rush.

As they crossed the hanging bridge over the KR Puram railway station, she wondered what had gone wrong. It wasn't the first time in the last few months. As things had turned out, she was both scared out of her wits and relieved. It was tough to go through the daily arguments, pain and constant intrigue.

“How can all of his clothes fit in one suitcase?” mused Aarti, despite herself.

He parked next to the MG road metro station and pulled the handbrake. The hazard lights blinked as he waited for her to get out of the car.

"This is it," he thought. His heart was pumping. He had to say something.

“I don’t know what you were trying yesterday,” he blurted.

“I am trying to keep myself superficially happy. Talking to you reminds me that I am not.” she snapped.

The hazard lights continued to blink and accentuated the painful silence after that statement.

“OK” whispered Akhil, finally.

“OK what?” turned Aarti with trepidation.

“OK, makes sense,” at a voice barely above a whisper.

“I’m sorry yaar!” She felt for Akhil. This shouldn't be happening to someone like him.

“Sorry for what?” asked Akhil, through gritted teeth. Her apology had made him angry. He had no idea why.

The hazard lights blinked some more even as the traffic made its way past.

“I don't want to talk about it. Just thinking about it makes me scared as hell. I am terrified of hitting rock bottom after this," she said.

“Rock bottom is not bad. It helps you realize what you’re made of.” he said vaguely.

“Don’t forget to have the poha,” she said. She leaned over, softly kissed him on the cheek and closed the car door behind her. Switching off the hazard lights, Akhil released the hand-brake and put the car back into gear.

Both had tears in their eyes even as the blaring sounds of Bangalore traffic separated them further apart every second.

Comments

  1. I read this just like any other novel I am absorbed in. Simple story telling and captured my interest from the first parah. Waiting for the sequel pieces 😀. Great job adi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good writing, I managed to read through the whole thing, unlike having to park this in my reading list.
    Very engaging. Would love to read more on the chapters in between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feedback

Popular posts from this blog

The Sutra to the Perfect Gift

Glenn had his birthday coming up. I called up everyone to seek ideas for an appropriate gift. In vain. "He has everything!" was one exasperated opinion. Some thought out of the box and came up with really practical gifts like skate-boards. I gave up and went straight to the mall with Arjun , hoping to spot something. At the mall, we hacked around for the 'right' gift. Although books were ruled out initially, we gravitated to the book store as a last resort. After sifting through countless books, we were still clueless. I had quite a reputation to maintain in office. After buying many 'right' gifts, I could not afford to lose the plot now. While selecting a gift, there are three things I look for: - Would s/he like it? - Would it be a talking point? - Would it cost within 800 bucks (our usual budget)? So I sat down and went back to the basics. What would Glenn like? What would all men like? Well, that wasn't a possible gift. So, what else? While I was thi

RAGe

I plan to re-vitalize the underground movie club I helped set up in my company this January. RAGe (Roshan, Aravind/Aditya, Glenn entertainment) provided an excel sheet with the movies set for 'release' every Friday. The sheet had details about the movies like the running time, size, quality, parental guidance (eg- Naomi Watts goes nude 45 minutes into the movie, so be sure to shoo your parents away round about that time), awards or nominations won. There was also a link to a one-page review of each movie we covered. RAGe started off really well, but lost steam as time wore on. The company's annual day, pressure at work, lack of feedback and appreciation for our work were the chief culprits. Reproduced below is the first review I wrote for RAGe. Its on one of my favourite movies, Thank You for Smoking: Thank You for Smoking Cast: Aaron Eckhart, Katie Holmes Director: Jason Reitman Review: Aditya Changavalli Don’t hide the truth, just filter it. I’ve got a confession to make.

What NOT to do this Valentine's Day

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field. - Niels Bohr I consider myself an expert in matters of the heart. I have given loads of people advice in all kinds of different situations. It’s another matter that most of them never actually used my advice, so there is no way of knowing how effective it is. But, I have surely made all the mistakes that can be made (and some more) in this not-so-narrow field. I will not bore you with the common amateur mistakes. Here is an example of me going overboard with the ‘being different’ mantra. I bet you never thought of this way to court a girl’s attentions. A few Valentine’s days back, I sent a mail to a friend I had a crush on and wanted to impress after an evening walk with her. Hi, As we were talking the other evening, you mentioned how guys are essentially the ‘same’; in the sense that ALL of them view girls as sex objects. When I heard it, I had trouble accepting it. So, I decided